The year 1624 is carved in a stone in one of the cellars below the house, but since then the house has undergone many architectural changes.
The shop is one of the few intact 17th century shops in the Netherlands and served to provide the ships with supplies before they sailed across the seas.
The captain personally came to place the orders and the goods were neatly stacked at the top of the warehouse and taken by small boats to the large ships near the house.
Rembrandt van Rhijn lived and worked nearby (the Rembrandt House) and came regularly in the afternoon, always impressed by how the late sunlight broke through the many small windows and shone inward. Michiel Adrian's son de Ruyter also lived around the corner on the Prins Hendrikkade and partly because of this house his sea voyages became famous, almost every journey started here.
For decades the house has been vacant, the port has been relocated and the trade shifted. The current owner found the house over twenty years ago covered with cobwebs and many layers of dust, but untouched by the ravages of time.